What is the Ampleforth Society?
The Ampleforth Society is Ampleforth in and beyond the Valley. It is more than just an alumni association. It is the worldwide community of all who have journeyed through Ampleforth as monks, pupils, parents or friends and have absorbed the values of the Rule of St Benedict. The Ampleforth Society was established on 14 July 1875 and is registered under the Charities Act 1960 registration number 529626. A large proportion of the Society’s income is spent on providing bursaries.
The objectives of the Ampleforth Society are to promote the Catholic faith and to advance education by:
- Fostering relations between members and other persons associated with Ampleforth Abbey and Ampleforth College.
- Engaging in activities which support the Abbey and College and advance the education of the pupils attending the College.
Currently, the Ampleforth Society is undergoing something of a transformation. We are greatly increasing levels of activity, which should benefit all members. If you would like to be actively involved in our clubs and events we would encourage you to get in touch and let us know your news.
Our new social media platform, Ampleforth Global, also means you can network, rediscover old friends, and share your skills, knowledge and experience with the next generation of students wherever you now live.
The Society provides a unique range of ways to keep in touch with the College, Valley and each other as you journey through life including:
- The Ampleforth Diary (twice a year)
- The online Ampleforth Journal
- Ampleforth Global – our new unique private social network
- Invitations to the Ampleforth Society Weekend and annual dinner in October
- Regional and local reunions and events
- Formal and informal networking events
- Sports and leisure activities, groups and clubs
- Mentoring and career development and support
- Retreats, ethical fora and pastoral and spiritual support
The Ampleforth Society organises regular reunions, social and sporting events, and each year in October the Ampleforth Society Weekend is held at Ampleforth. Our programme of events take place all throughout the UK and overseas and gives members the opportunity to catch up with old friends and see members of the monastic community.
If you are unsure whether you are already a member of the Ampleforth Society, or wish to join, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.