Virtual House Tours

We hope these short videos and the Adventure of Ampleforth video give you a flavour of some of the Houses here in the Ampleforth Valley. If you would like to learn more about an Ampleforth education, please contact our Admissions team on 01439 766863 or email admissions@ampleforth.org.uk.

St Edward's & St Wilfrid's

St Edward’s & St Wilfrid’s House is situated in the northern half of Hume House, which opened as purpose-built boarding accommodation in 2001. From September 2020, it became home to Years 7 and 8.

St Bede's House

St Bede’s is one of Ampleforth’s four longest standing houses, located on Aumit Hill with views overlooking the Valley. The House can cater for over 60 girls. First year students are accommodated in dormitories of four, they then share in the next two years and the sixth form have study rooms, many with en-suite shower rooms.

St Margaret's House

St Margaret’s was founded in Fairfax House in 2004, located at the southern end of the campus, with views of the valley and playing fields. The House can cater for 70 girls. The first year girls sleep in dorms of four, second and third year girls have twin en-suite rooms and the sixth form have en-suite rooms.

St Cuthbert's House

St Cuthbert's is Ampleforth’s oldest boarding house, having begun life in 1926 in a building to the west of the campus. St Cuthbert's moved into Hume House in 2001. The first year students sleep in dormitories of six, the next two years in double rooms, and the Sixth Form in single en-suite rooms, many of which enjoy outstanding views towards the Abbey Church.

St Dunstan's & St Oswald's

St Dunstan's & St Oswald's is currently situated in Bolton House and houses around 60 boys. Boarding accommodation is provided in dormitories of six for the first three years, then in single study bedrooms for the sixth form. The newly refurbished house provides light and spacious accommodation with plenty of recreation spaces and a beautiful Chapel with stained glass.

St Hugh's House

St Hugh’s enjoys views out over the games fields and Ampleforth valley. Boarding accommodation is in dormitories of four for the first year, followed by twin en-suite rooms in the second and third year, and single en-suite bedrooms for the sixth form boarders.

St John's House

St John's was founded in 1957 and is located in one of the older college buildings, recently refurbished throughout. The house has accommodation for 65 boys with the first years in dormitories of six; second and third years in twin rooms which have en-suite facilities; and sixth form boarders in their own rooms, many of which have en-suite bathrooms.

Adventure of Ampleforth

An Ampleforth education is a “Compass for Life.” Set in a beautiful Yorkshire valley, we offer the breadth of opportunity for each student to discover and develop their interests and strengths. Learn more by watching our Adventure of Ampleforth video.

St Thomas' House

St Thomas’ House was founded in 1946 to the north of the campus, within the National Park. The Millennium Cross, dedicated to Cardinal Basil Hume, is located in the grounds of the house, which has views over the Vale of Pickering to the Wolds. The house was extended in the early 1980s and can accommodate 53 boys.