St Thomas’ House was founded in 1946 to the north of the campus, within the National Park.

The Millennium Cross, dedicated to Cardinal Basil Hume, is located in the grounds of the house, which has views over the Vale of Pickering to the Wolds. The house was extended in the early 1980s and can accommodate 53 boys.   

Gavin Lynch-Frahill is the 8th Housemaster of St Thomas' House.

Gavin joined Ampleforth in September 2020 and lives in the house with his wife Aoife and their dog Dougal and cat Ella. 

Gavin joined the Irish Navy upon finishing school in his native Cork where he served as an officer at sea and on shore for five years whilst concurrently completing a BSc in Nautical Science in Cork Institute of Technology. After leaving the armed forces he attended University College Cork where he read a BEd specialising in Physical Education and History. Whilst there he spent a year on paid sabbatical as the Education Officer for the Students' Union where he was a member of the academic board of the university. After completing his degree, he moved to England where he completed his MEd at St Edmund's College in the University of Cambridge whilst teaching at King Edward's School Witley. At King Edward's Gavin was an assistant housemaster and master in charge of the 1st XI Cricket Team. He is a keen sportsman and has played all major sports including representing Ireland at sailing. He has led numerous sports tours in Rugby and Hockey. His latest sporting interest is Cricket which he took up after moving to England. Aoife and Gavin enjoy theatre, travelling and cooking in their spare time.

  

About St Thomas

St Thomas à Becket (1120-1170) was Archbishop of Canterbury from 1162 until he was murdered in 1170. He disagreed with Henry II of England over the rights and privileges of the church and was murdered by followers of the king in Canterbury Cathedral. Soon after his death he was canonised by Pope Alexander III. 

Click here to see the St Thomas' House booklet.