St Hugh’s shares Fairfax House with neighbouring St Margaret's House and enjoys glorious views out over the games fields and Ampleforth valley.
Virtual House Tour
Boarding accommodation is in dormitories of four for Year 9, followed by twin en-suite rooms in Years 10 and 11, and single en-suite bedrooms for the Sixth Form boarders.
Daniel MacDonald is the Housemaster in St Hugh's and lives in the House with his wife, three young children, and dog, Bingo. Dan has been a teacher for seven years having joined the education sector after a decade working as a newspaper journalist and in international development with the World Bank. He is a Geography teacher but has also taught Modern History and has a keen interest in International Relations. He has a B.A. (History) from the University of Sydney, an M.Int.Rel. (International Relations) from the University of Melbourne, and Graduate Diploma in Education from the Australian Catholic University. Dan's mission is to work with the St Hugh’s boys so that they reach their potential as human beings, ensuring they grow up in an environment where the boys’ academic and spiritual lives are nurtured.
St Hugh’s was founded in 1956 by Fr Benedict Webb. The House moved from Aumit House (now home to St Bede’s) to purpose-built boarding accommodation in Fairfax House in 2004.
About St Hugh
St Hugh of Lincoln (1135/40 – 1200) was a French noble, Benedictine and Carthusian monk and Bishop of Lincoln. At the time of the Reformation, he was the best-known English saint after Thomas Becket. St Hugh was consecrated Bishop of Lincoln in 1186 at Westminster and focused on raising the quality of education at the cathedral school until his death in 1200.